Meals on Wheels of Solano County has been delivering meals to homebound seniors in Benicia, Dixon, Fairfield, Rio Vista, Suisun, Vacaville and Vallejo since 1977. Our Mission is to support senior independence, health and well-being by regularly providing nutritious meals and human connection.
Our registered dietitian plans all of the menus. All of our meals meet 1/3 of the daily basic nutritional requirements for older adults, follow the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, and meet state regulations for food safety and sanitation. We strive to limit sodium to less than 750 milligrams per meal, limit the calories from fat, serve whole grains, vegetables and fresh fruits for fiber. All meals are prepared and packaged fresh at our central kitchen in Suisun City, California.
Meals on Wheels of Solano County provided an average of 14,000 meals a month from July 2017 to June 2018 for seniors living in our community. Collectively, our wonderful volunteers and staff visited and checked on our seniors on a regular contact basis.
The Facts, Just the Facts…
- 175,335 Total meals served to seniors in Solano County.
- 150,665 Total meals delivered to home-bound seniors in Solano County.
- 24,670 Total meals served at Congregate Dining Sites.
- $50,798 Total value of donated volunteer Home-Delivery hours.
- $27,396 Total value of donated miles for the Home-Delivery Program.
- $23,715 Total value of donated volunteer hours & facility usage at Congregate Dining Sites.